Monday 22 October 2012

LET'S GO FOR LUNCH



I love restaurants. Yes, I’m greedy and yes, I love food. But there’s more to a restaurant than that. There’s the buzz and excitement of a whole cocktail of emotions.


The Wolesley at lunch

Recently we went to the Wolseley (the blonde and I). It was Sunday lunch on a sunny day after walking from Marylebone. The streets were quiet. The luxury palaces on Bond Street looked forlornly on the empty-walleted passers-by…”send me some Arabs, send me rich Chinese, send me some high net wealth” they seemed to murmur.

The Wolseley is heaving at 1pm. It’s full of laughter, the buzz of stories being told, ladies lunching vigorously, couples flirting lavishly and a human conveyor belt of smiling Wolseley staff. This is brilliant.


The Wolseley smoked haddock fishcakes with poached eggs

To learn just how brilliant read this by Jonathan Self (Will’s brother). It describes a day in the life of the Wolseley from behind the scenes.

It’s a metaphor for the best of modern business. Great customer service, easy-going, happy staff, good product, reasonable prices and a sensational ambience….a total, satisfying experience or as my consultant friends (question “friends”) might put it: “with all the right touch-points in the customer journey”.

Few restaurants really have it. The Ivy;  Langans and of course Odins in Devonshire Street.
I went there recently as the guest of a friend. I used to go there a lot – and I mean a lot. Over a ten year period I spent a huge sum there but I loved it. The place is carpeted, the tables are far apart, the staff are quietly attentive. You can hear yourself think and there are bits of interesting art there.


Old Odin’s menu cover

I was greeted by someone I recognised as a junior in the past and who was now maître d’: “Mr Hall how lovely to see you again.” After 10 years this was impressive. As I sat down he asked “would you like a Kir – just like you did in the old days?” That’s what I call memory.

And memory is what distinguishes great service from good service. Technology alone won’t take you to the higher plane. Whilst the thought of robot waiters fill me with dread.


Robot waiters in China

Good to hear the front of house and people on the phone at the Wolseley don’t learn scripts but learn how to extemporise and ad lib charm.

But I love being remembered….it makes the food taste even better.

www.colourfulthinkers.com

No comments: