Monday 13 August 2012

IF POST-MODERN MEANS MAVERICK COUNT ME IN



Like any aspiring historian I think it’s too soon to make a cool judgement of the Olympics although I fully expect a “was it all really worth it?” backlash soon.

But there have been some surprising bonuses.



We got back the Union Jack from the BNP.

The SNP have been scuppered by seeing Andy, Chris and Michael wrapped in Union Jacks. Sorry Alex Salmond….independence is history.


Our football prowess was firmly put into its second-rate place. Andy Murray showed he was a team player unlike the bemused Swiss (bring on the Davis Cup now). The media, despite itself, has become positive and full of good cheer. Women have been schooled to punch with accuracy and power….no more glass ceilings…whack! Customer service has improved. Britain has learnt to smile. Actually I’d put it more strongly than that. Britain has found an identity that feels right. Maverick. Ironic. Emotional. Post-modern.
Here’s an extract from an e-mail from an Indian friend who is a successful entrepreneur in India and ex- Investment banker from London……

At all events I felt a sense of pride.
I am unbothered about the economy during the games - GDP is myopic and one dimensional. We should focus on keeping this type of planning, execution and friendly attitude (without the American cheesiness) which will allow the UK to get ahead of the rest!”

I love the use of “we” and the genuine positivity. And yes to the dismissal of the antique measurement of GDP. I prefer the CE Index. CE? Sorry. Clint Eastwood.



Do you feel lucky punk?”

Yes. I feel lucky. I think we feel lucky. Lucky to live in this wonderful country…..

But I feel strongly out of step with most of my contemporaries in business, politics and the institutions. Most of all I find myself looking at the leaders of parties in a bemused way and ask if Cameron, Clegg or Miliband are abreast with Britain (maybe in a quirky way Ed is come to think of it.)


The next time you hear one of them being grumpy, negative or shouting at an opponent tell them to bugger off and read my piece on the “Civilised Science of Challenging” (next week) – how to say “no” with a smile on your face…and tell them to remember the Olympics.

Winning really is fun.

No comments: