Monday 14 May 2012

FROM RANTING WITH RAGE TO APPLAUDING WITH DELIGHT



Is it just me or has something radical happened to my attention span? The Leveson enquiry is boring me to death just when it should be perking up with the pre Raphaelite Rebecca and the bruiser Coulson on the stand although he did come back the great laconic “Not really” to the ghastly Robert Jay’s “Well this was really the elephant in the room wasn’t it?”

Why do I loathe him?  Is it his smugness or the slow “we’ve got all the time in the world” way in which he behaves? But this is costing us all a fortune and do you know, I’ve stopped caring about hacking, Murdock, Neville and the rest of them. Lock them all up in Parkhurst (especially Robert Jay and the balding Leveson) not  for being venal, nasty and wicked but and most of all for being so dull.  Rant one.

Rant two is more in sorrow than in anger. For a long time I’ve been speaking up for women and saying stuff like “If it had been called Lehman Sisters it would still be in business”. Not so apparently. I find myself looking at the smiling face of Ina Drew head if the Investment Department  of JP Morgan that has been exceedingly naughty and has lost $2 billion. Here’s what Jamie Dimon CEO of the bank said: “flawed, complex, poorly executed, poorly monitored…egregious and self-inflicted.”


So he’s not very happy then.

And neither are the women of the world who it seems are as bad as men. Big sigh of relief from all the misogynists in the world’s board rooms.

The third thing was a moment of pure joy.  We were at a concert on Friday listening to two sacred pieces: - the World Premiere of Ivan Moody's  "Sub tuum praesidium" - in Latin, Greek and Slavonic - wonderful haunting stuff and then the 18th century Portuguese composer, António Teixeira's, "Te Deum" - very Baroque to the point of obfuscation (rather like a McKinsey document). I was sitting next to a very pretty young girl who was writing a review. I asked her what she did and she said she wrote, she sang and turning to me eyes shining she said laughingly

 “I have so many strings to my bow….life’s just so exciting”.

No comments: