Monday 12 November 2012

I ONCE HAD THAT RICHARD HALL IN THE BACK OF MY CAB



Taxi drivers in Brighton are different to the ones in London because so many of them seem to do it as an eccentric hobby. One said to me, his CD player playing Verdi very loudly “if you don’t like opera you can bugger off.” Another was doing GCSE Spanish to keep her daughter company.


The distinctive Brighton cabs proving the concept of safety in numbers

The other day I came across one who talked about oxymorons. The local Council are introducing radical and expensive traffic calming measures at a local roundabout with seven roads leading on to it. This cab driver and I discussed it, me with the theory that anywhere so palpably tricky called for great care and good manners. However this seems a minority view. The driver leaned across looking over his left shoulder as they do and said ‘whenever they say “road improvements” you know to means traffic jams or worse’. And so it was we began talking about oxymorons.


I’ve no idea what this means but I think we should pepper Britain with them to encourage people

Like “military intelligence”, “school food”, “National Health”, “tough love” (a way of justifying being beastly like that antiquated lie “this will hurt me more than it hurts you.”).

But there are three that are currently in constant use that worry me more.

“Business Plan” –or works of self-deluding fiction as I call them yet a lot of people spend a lot of time doing them very carefully.


Depressing? Yes and very, very boring. 

“Creative Workshop” – Dickens and Picasso would have loved these (not). In truth creativity and conferences of executives are by very definition at odds.

“Negative Profits”- which I love because it’s so obviously a lie. Here’s tough love again, here’s any phase which sounds positive but contains a problem. Like “stock adjustment” which means “we’ve run out.”

And finally “sell by date” which demands the response “not necessarily”. This is the single, greatest cause of food waste in the world.

But none of these quite evoke my ire like T-Mobile. My wife uses them. She pays her bills always and on time. Her latest cheque has been banked by them but they are saying it hasn’t been and are hounding her. This is made worse whilst they are asking her to check it and provide proof of payment.


Good brand name, shame about the disconnect.

“Life’s for sharing” says their website – which is not so much oxymoronic as moronic from people who seem to think they are right and their customers are wrong.

And as my taxi driver said “don’t get me on to customer service. Just don’t”.

www.colourfulthinkers.com

3 comments:

Leda said...

Loved this piece, so refreshing and very real. AAhhh but you left the best for the last paragraph.... your trouble with T-Mobile. Why? Because the same situation happened to my husband and I with Time Warner Cable. Actually we went in person to pay our bill and we did it in cash and got a receipt back. So everything was wonderful until they (TWC) called asking for our payment because they said we were late. We explained to them that we had already paid at their store and that we had the receipt to prove it.They said the payment wasn't showing in the computer so they asked us to fax it to them, which we did. Two days later they called us back saying that regardless of our proof, we still had to pay the bill because "when we got the receipt for our payment, we didn't MAKE SURE that it was printed, that we had paid in cash" Believe it or not, the lady had the audacity to say it was all OUR FAULT for not being more careful with our money! Needless to say, we cancelled our account. So I also say "don't get me on to customer service". Just don't".
Cordially, Leda

Richard Hall said...

Leda,

That’s a smashing story of corporate ineptitude.

I have a feeling that some businesses hate their customers.

Current thinking is women running companies are better at all this because they love their customers and are grateful for their custom.

Sounds like your lady at Time Warner was impersonating an alpha male or was a man in disguise.

My favourite was with Amazon who sent me someone else’s stuff and when I phoned to say “it’s not mine please take it away” said “but this is your problem”.

Happy Christmas Leda,

Richard

Leda said...

Mr. Hall,

Happy Christmas to you too!

And by the way, I love your book, "Brilliant Marketing". There is a lot of information in it, that I am trying to use in my two small websites. I am a rookie at this, but your book gave me some wonderful ideas. Love your website too!.

Sincerely,
Leda