Monday 8 October 2012

DO YOU WANT TO BE A HERO?



On Fast Company I saw this ….
“What does an archaeologist-slash-action hero, out to save the world from maniacal Nazis have to do with battling boring bureaucracy?”

The argument that followed was a bit thin – the Nazi bureaucrats who live in a short term tactical world “the Fuehrer asks for regular reports and he expects progress”; the multitasking hero whose life is solidly based apart from random projects; shooting that sword swinging mullah demonstrating how to get to a swift solution.

The reality surely is this: That we have a  need for heroes and to be one too, ourselves.

Just listen to that music In Indiana Jones and we all have to go, kick arse and stop nonsense….we are on a mission from God (check out the Blues Brothers).  This, because it’s so much more fun trying to be extraordinary rather than just accepting the accolade of mere competence.

I have this theory about creating an album of totally inspiring sit-in-the-car-and-then-go-hunting-and-winning music. Here it is. My top six are music from:

1. The Magnificent Seven – this has the rebellious, beat the system confidence that anyone going to a meeting needs. And some great thoughts lying behind that music:
Chris: You don't owe anything to anybody.
Lee: Except to myself.



2. The 633 Squadron – play it for 1 minute 10 seconds (it then slows down) – that’s all you need – this is class A adrenalin- it’s fast, it’s urgent, it’s dangerous. Play it to your sales people and say like Roy realising they were (probably) going to their doom
Wing Cmdr. Roy Grant: Blue Leader to all sections. Enemy anti-aircraft intact. Keep your eyes open. We're going in.
…unsaid – “anyway”



3. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly – it’s those weird sounds after that initial drum beat. It has a primal urgency. Listen to this and you won’t be nice. But, my God, you’ll frighten, surprise people and achieve the amazing.



4. The Sweeney – when I was an absurdly young MD I modelled myself on Jack Regan, my staff called me “Guv” and I swore a lot in a cockney accent. This music is about a rough, tough world. It still makes my hair stand on end and make me feel  that I’ve got to inspire my team to win (and – see below – drink).



5. Rockford Files – life is not all about thrills and kills. Here’s a jokey piece of fun music about a laid back private detective – James Garner.  What a fun CEO he’d have been.



6. Officer and a Gentleman – “up where we belong, where the eagles cry on a mountain high”. OK I’m a hopeless romantic. But winning doesn’t have to mean you’ve got be a bastard.



Enjoy the music.
Be a hero.

www.colourfulthinkers.com


2 comments:

sarteur said...

Richard - great choices - but also (for me) Dambusters March; glory and loss - and Apocalypse Now - you can't beat Wagner for drama.

William

Anonymous said...

don't be a hero-
don't be like everyone else-
be different

b.dylan